1The secretion of milk by the mammary glands.
- Mammary glands during lactation were excised from two swh/swh and two swh / + females on the day of their delivery.
- Such features may vary according to whether the patient was pregnant, lactating, or had recently terminated her pregnancy or lactation at the time of surgical excision.
- From here it was an easy step for early modern suspicion to extend to all female bodily fluids: tears, menstruation, lactation.
1.1The action of suckling an infant.
- Studies of captive lorises have shown that after a female has given birth, the demands of lactation and raising an infant may keep her from mating again for ten to fourteen months.
- When a mother or an infant is hospitalized, lactation should be continued if possible.
- Major demands are placed on the mother by the fetus for calcium during pregnancy and by the infant during lactation.
- Example sentences
- Abundant breast lobules were present in the adjacent breast tissue in all cases in this subgroup, but these showed little evidence of active lactational change.
- The longer the breastfeeding period, the longer the possibility of lactational amenorrhoea - the time when a women is unlikely to be ovulating and therefore to get pregnant.
- All normal and benign biopsy specimens, with the exception of the 2 lactational adenomas, showed varying numbers of positive epithelial cells and lymphocytes.
Mid 17th century: from Latin lactatio(n-), from lactare 'suckle', from lac, lact- 'milk'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: lac|ta¦tion
Definition of lactation in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.