- (Of a compound) having the property of rotating the plane of a polarized light ray to the left, i.e. anticlockwise facing the oncoming radiation. The opposite of dextrorotatory.More example sentences
- The chemical structure of the natural form of ephedrine is levorotatory, while the synthetic ephedrine is a racemic mixture.
- Morphine is an amphoteric pentacyclic alkaloid that exists naturally in its levorotatory form as columnar colorless prisms.
- Hence this appeal to gastropodologists, if such a term exists, to come to the rescue and explain the unique (laevorotatory) development of the humble periwinkle.
More definitions of laevorotatoryDefinition of laevorotatory in:
- The US English dictionary