verb[with object] formal
Withdraw clerical character, control, or status from: when his priestly vocation no longer satisfied him he had asked to be laicized
More example sentences
- Some argue that to laicize clerics who have abused minors would be to deprive them of the oversight and support the Church should give them, and to increase the likelihood that they will abuse again, and thus to increase risks to children.
- Talk about returning laicized priests to active ministry is just beating a dead horse.
- Dwyer cites a shrinking clergy and the failure to laicize church administration as envisioned by Vatican II, and the absence of a plan for the church in America ‘ten years from now, twenty years from now in terms of secular worldly power.’
- Example sentences
- I submit, therefore, that a great deal of thought and probably some experimentation are needed to arrive at the correct via media between clericalism and laicism.
- Today we have other models, which we sometimes follow blindly, models which arouse and strengthen religious indifference: relativism, laicism, unrestrained consumerism, and other models.
- Therefore, secularism demands positive obligations, while laicism is limited by negative obligations.
- Example sentences
- No one is arguing that abusers be placed back in ministries with children, but is expulsion and laicization always and in every instance the right response, especially for onetime offenders?
- In some cases the bishop puts pressure on them to apply for laicization, even though they protest their innocence and ardently desire to live out their vocation as priests.
- In Los Angeles, where 12 priests have been suspended, Cardinal Roger Mahony said that any priest or deacon found to have sexually abused a minor would ‘never return to active ministry’ and should seek laicisation.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: lai|cize
Definition of laicize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.