- The surrounding area has a man-made lake, surrounded by huge boathouses and houses.
- Ospreys live near rivers, estuaries, salt marshes, lakes, reservoirs, and other large bodies of water.
- I mean, they live basically off the fishing from the world's second largest freshwater lake.
- Set slid to the ground without a sound, blood pooling around him and forming a shallow lake of red liquid.
- Outside the concrete and brick building, people gingerly walked around small lakes of blood that pooled on the street.
- In particular, there is no conclusive evidence yet to either confirm or deny the presence of the putative lakes of liquid ethane on Titan's surface.
- The story is all the more remarkable when you take into account the size of Europe's wine lake and the stiff competition in today's crushingly crowded fine wine market.
- The grape spirit market was in decline, too, so the EC wine lake was overflowing.
- Critics say it has resulted in the grotesque and immoral destruction of produce - those wine lakes and butter mountains - to keep prices artificially high.
A lake was once a pond or pool: it is from Old French lac, from Latin lacus ‘basin, pool, lake’. A small lacus was a lacuna, which became laguna in Spanish and Italian, and became lagoon (early 17th century) in English.
Words that rhyme with lakeache, awake, bake, betake, Blake, brake, break, cake, crake, drake, fake, flake, forsake, hake, Jake, make, mistake, opaque, partake, quake, rake, sake, shake, sheikh, slake, snake, splake, stake, steak, strake, take, undertake, wake, wideawake
noun[mass noun, often with modifier]
- The inclusion of azurite blue and lake glazes indicates that this was a sophisticated and expensive colour scheme.
- This mordant reacts with the dye alizarin to form a red lake, exactly as it does in a test tube in the typical analytical test for aluminum.
- Burnt umber, terre verte, red ochre, red lake and burnt sienna were identified in several places.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.