Definition of lampoon in English:
- Punch, the satirical magazine that lampooned the establishment for more than 150 years, has closed.
- He was taken by the idea of lampooning the soaps, but was ultimately more interested in satirizing our celebrity-obsessed culture.
- This man's boldness-or foolhardiness-has been lampooned in the press and joked about all over the world.
nounBack to top
- In one hour, he takes on 50 different caricatures in a flurry of bright-coloured paper cut-outs, all of them elaborate, exaggerated lampoons of familiar icons, moving from one to another like a human flick-book.
- The result was a wacky lampoon featuring dolls, newspapers, and rolls of tape.
- An early example of this was Bizarre, a show that seemed intent on shocking, not least by a liberal sprinkling of the f-word in its irreverent sketches and lampoons.
Mid 17th century: from French lampon, said to be from lampons 'let us drink' (used as a refrain), from lamper 'gulp down', nasalized form of laper 'to lap (liquid)'.
The source of English lampoon meaning ‘publicly criticize by using ridicule or irony’ is French lampon. This is said to be from the refrain of popular French drinking songs in the 1600s lampons ‘let us drink!’, from lamper ‘gulp down’.
- Example sentences
- He could almost have written the hymn himself - about himself - the lampooners are saying.
- I can't wait for the lampooners to go to town on his lower lip-swivelling characteristics.
- Similarly as a lyricist and polemicist he was both a consistent critic of corporate capitalism (in particular ‘the culture industry’ and organised religion) and a very spiky lampooner of new social movements.
- Example sentences
- On the show he still refused to play the game, refused to step out of role, to relax into Ross's spree of commentary and lampoonery.
- But some apt political lampoonery, a dash of adroit physical comedy, a pinch of puppetry and a few saucy tunes give Insanity Fair some entertaining moments.
- Unfortunately, there's no time for lampoonery as the teams and their mascots click-clack out of the tunnel and line up on either side of the match officials.
Words that rhyme with lampoonafternoon, attune, autoimmune, baboon, balloon, bassoon, bestrewn, boon, Boone, bridoon, buffoon, Cameroon, Cancún, cardoon, cartoon, Changchun, cocoon, commune, croon, doubloon, dragoon, dune, festoon, galloon, goon, harpoon, hoon, immune, importune, impugn, Irgun, jejune, June, Kowloon, lagoon, loon, macaroon, maroon, monsoon, moon, Muldoon, noon, oppugn, picayune, platoon, poltroon, pontoon, poon, prune, puccoon, raccoon, Rangoon, ratoon, rigadoon, rune, saloon, Saskatoon, Sassoon, Scone, soon, spittoon, spoon, swoon, Troon, tune, tycoon, typhoon, Walloon
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.