Definition of land agent in English:
1A person employed to manage an estate on behalf of its owners.
- Mark Osborne, a land agent and estate management expert, said: ‘Scottish grouse moors have been in serious decline for decades and the future is bleak.’
- In 1900 O'Grady recalled working as a land agent on the family estate in the Land League winter of 1881-82.
- As we sat under the lights in the old black and white studio, I felt like a serf hauled into His Lordship's sitting room to be interviewed by his land agent about our imagined grievances.
2A person who deals with the sale of land: the fraudulent land agent sold him a worthless plot
More example sentences
- I wanted to leave a message for you, a forwarding address, but my house was purchased by a land agent, and I presume he sold it on quite quickly.
- In Humberside a woman was injured when a device was sent to an estate and land agent in Patrington.
- Born in Sydney, the land agent and auctioneer was secretary of his local branch of the Australian Labor Party from 1903 and became a member of the legislative assembly of New South Wales in 1913.
land agency noun
- Example sentences
- Shaw began working as a clerk in a land agency at the age of fifteen, but abandoned that career before age twenty and resolved to fashion himself as a modern Shakespeare.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.