A government office recording dealings in public land.
More example sentences
- It has now two printing offices - each publish a paper; sixteen stores; several commission merchants; auctioneer; a land office; and various other public offices, which draw numbers of people from the country.
- ‘But if many people lose their certificates in the same area, the subdistrict office could file all their claims in one application,’ said Yanto, an officer at the land office.
- He had been unable to secure a travel advance before leaving Indiana, and thereafter the land office had repeatedly denied or delayed reimbursement for the expenses incurred in getting the survey started.
do a land-office business
- informal Do a lot of successful trading: the tattoo artist was doing a land-office businessMore example sentences
- It's not surprising that companies offering a way to raise credit scores are doing a land-office business.
- The local pizza joint did a land office business around 6:00 pm.
Definition of land office in:
- The US English dictionary