- Gods of the household worshipped in ancient Rome. See also penates.More example sentences
- Each family home would also have a small altar and shrine. The Romans had personal household gods or spirits called ‘lares’ which were worshipped every day at home.
- In this sacrificial procession, statuettes of the lares and of the Emperor are held by three of the figures on the left.
lares and penates
- A person’s home and household possessions.More example sentences
- He would also have had more loyalty to his own culture - more pietas (respect for the lares and penates).
- No wonder students in the College Programming Office compiled a complementary, unofficial list of lares and penates, ‘Things to Make a Dorm a Home.’
- Throw in white and you resolve at least Leeds and Spurs, and get the colours of St. George - perhaps playing in these colours creates some form of prayer to the lares and penates, or to St. George or England itself?
More definitions of laresDefinition of lares in:
- The US English dictionary