noun (plural larvae /ˈlɑːviː/)
- Putsi flies have normal four life cycle stage like most insects - egg, larvae, pupa and adult.
- The life cycle of a butterfly includes four stages: egg, caterpillar or larva, pupa, and adult.
- All flies pass through four life stages: egg, larva, pupa and adult.
- Later, the tadpole larva will undergo metamorphosis to give rise to the adult frog; the tail regresses and the limbs form.
- The free-swimming larva settles and undergoes metamorphosis into a juvenile sponge.
- A larva is an immature animal that doesn't look like the adult and differs markedly from the adult.
- Example sentences
- Even here in North America, the use of larvicides against mosquitoes may prevent the spread of West Nile virus which has killed hundreds of people across the continent in the past three years.
- They suggest using larvicides, which kill mosquitoes in the larval stage.
- Applying larvicides in many areas of standing water to kill larvae might cause more harm than good.
Mid 17th century (denoting a disembodied spirit or ghost): from Latin, literally 'ghost, mask'.
‘A disembodied spirit or ghost’ was the first use of this Latin word which means literally ‘ghost, mask’. The common modern use as a term for the active immature form of an insect is due to the Swedish botanist Linnaeus (1707–78).
Words that rhyme with larvabalaclava, Bratislava, carver, cassava, Costa Brava, guava, Java, kava, lava, palaver
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.