Definition of laryngoscope in English:
An instrument for examining the larynx, or for inserting a tube through it.
- This may involve direct visual examination of the inside of the larynx with an instrument called a laryngoscope or indirect examination of the airway with a mirror.
- As injury to the mucous membrane of the larynx could occur when an endotracheal tube or a laryngoscope, selected on the basis of western data, is introduced into the larynx of patients.
- As specialists, we visualise the pharynx and upper oesophagus with mirrors and a flexible laryngoscope and use rigid endoscopy under anaesthesia, which is the gold standard for investigation of this difficult area.
- Example sentences
- Physical examination by the anesthesiology provider during direct laryngoscopy for intubation revealed marked tissue inflammation in the posterior part of the pharynx, including marked edema of the vocal cords.
- Excessive force may distort and obstruct the airway, which potentially impedes laryngoscopy, endotracheal intubation, and mask ventilation after a failed intubation.
- It is difficult to create a single clear visual plane from the mouth through the pharynx to the glottis, thus the potential is greater for difficult laryngoscopy or endotracheal intubation.
Definition of laryngoscope in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.