Definition of laser in English:
A device that generates an intense beam of coherent monochromatic light (or other electromagnetic radiation) by stimulated emission of photons from excited atoms or molecules. Lasers are used in drilling and cutting, alignment and guidance, and in surgery; the optical properties are exploited in holography, reading barcodes, and in recording and playing compact discs.
- This lattice can trap the neutral atoms in potential wells because the electric fields of the lasers induce a dipole moment in the atom.
- It has led to computers, lasers and nuclear reactors, and it tells us why the Sun shines and why the ground beneath our feet is solid.
- The structure has potential for the development of active optical devices such as lasers and passive components.
verb[with object] Back to top
Treat or remove (something) using a laser, especially as part of a surgical procedure: she had her eyes lasered so she could ditch her glasses he has had tattoos lasered off his chest
More example sentences
- I fully intend to have my face lasered soon.
- If you feel like getting hair lasered off, this is the place for you.
- What is the recovery time after having a tattoo lasered off?
Words that rhyme with laserappraiser, blazer, eraser, Fraser, gazer, glazer, grazer, mazer, praiser, razor, salmanazar, taser, Weser
Definition of laser in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.