Entry from US English dictionary
Last in order of birth; youngest.
- Thirty-five percent were first-born children and 25% were last-born; 15% were only children.
- An increased laying interval would create a large hatching interval for last-born chicks with potential negative effects on their survival.
- Furthermore, with the last-born children united by a mystical relation to first-born siblings, the series of siblings comes full circle - is complete - which explains the birth-control connotation of the practice.
A youngest or last-born child.
- Frank Sulloway, a Harvard historian and psychologist, has spent 26 years researching his book, Born to Rebel, in which he concludes that first-borns are conscientious and responsible while last-borns are rebels and radicals.
- Traits of last-borns include charm, tendency to be manipulative, persistence, and love of attention.
- Singh reported that last-borns were more extroverted; sociability is a major component of extroversion.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.