- 1 Medicine The period between infection with a virus or other microorganism and the onset of symptoms, or between exposure to radiation and the appearance of a cancer.More example sentences
- It is generally assumed that episodes of brain cancer that appear after latent periods of less than 10 years are merely coincidental associations, not sentinel indicators of causation.
- As with tobacco, there will be a latent period between the onset of smoking and the development of lung damage, cardiovascular disease, or malignant change.
- There is a long latent period of 20-40 years between exposure and disease expression.
More definitions of latent periodDefinition of latent period in:
- The US English dictionary