- A visible line along the side of a fish consisting of a series of sense organs which detect pressure and vibration.More example sentences
- Two to three scales bear a pore behind the inversion line until the lateral line ends at a caudal fin ray.
- Sharks can detect vibrations in the water from a few 100m via their lateral lines, a series of pressure-sensitive organs extending along their flanks and over their faces.
- Catsharks, like all other fishes, sense their environment hydrodynamically through the lateral line, a series of pores connecting a complex internal canal system with the outside water.
More definitions of lateral lineDefinition of lateral line in:
- The US English dictionary