noun[mass noun] chiefly British
The solving of problems by an indirect and creative approach, typically through viewing the problem in a new and unusual light. Contrasted with vertical thinking.
More example sentences
- It allows creative, lateral thinking, basically silly, saying the first thing that comes into your head, no great depth.
- Even better, the service was developed using just creative and lateral thinking without any extra funding.
- They also underline the creative and lateral thinking which helps to make us market leaders.
lateral thinker noun
- More example sentences
- But my biggest problem looks like being the determination of rock's favourite lateral thinker never to repeat himself.
- I'm a bit of a lateral thinker and can be talking about the price of butter one minute and combine harvesters the next.
- And it doesn't create the kind of rounded characters that make innovative, lateral thinkers.