- A tropical disease marked by tremors, muscular weakness, and paraplegia, especially prevalent in South Asia. It is commonly attributed to continued consumption of the seeds of the grass pea.More example sentences
- Another similar disease, lathyrism, is due to toxicity from chickling peas.
- From time to time there is an outbreak of a paralysing disease, lathyrism, among people and animals that consume it.
- Acute lathyrism is not an appropriate model for periodontitis which has a chronic origin.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Lathyrus (genus name of various leguminous plants) + -ism.
More definitions of lathyrismDefinition of lathyrism in:
- The US English dictionary