Definition of laticifer in English:
A cell, tissue, or vessel that contains or conducts latex.
- This problem could also be caused by the toxic exudates from damaged laticifers that affect the vascular tissues directly.
- However, it should be noted that tyloses are reported in tracheids of some species of Pinus and even in such cell types as fibre-tracheids or laticifers.
- This is no mother's milk, however, but a latex exuded by specialized structures, called laticifers, that are found throughout the plant.
Mid 19th century: from Latin latex, latic- 'fluid' + -fer 'bearing'.
- Example sentences
- Insects cut veins in plants with arborescent resin canals or in plants with laticiferous ducts that do not reticulate.
- The laticiferous system of the scape consists of several layers of articulated unbranched latieifers.
- These laticiferous tubules are the source of the milky latex that is used to make natural chewing gums and rubber.
Definition of laticifer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan