Definition of latitudinarian in English:
Allowing latitude in religion; showing no preference among varying creeds and forms of worship: the latitudinarian clergy of the established Church
More example sentences
- Surges of fashionable liberalism such as latitudinarian complacency in the early part of the century drew the fire of much satirical scepticism.
- Like their English counterparts, American latitudinarian Anglicans, such as Alexander Garden, also shaped Enlightened Dissent.
- In specifying severe judgment, as is widely recommended, are the bishops engaged in a form of retribution for having erred in the past by latitudinarian excess?
nounBack to top
A person with a latitudinarian attitude.
- Wishy-washy latitudinarians that we are, the editors emphasize that each group is independent and works out whatever works best for participants.
- It is a commonplace to associate the low view of the episcopate not only with latitudinarians, but also with nineteenth-century evangelicals.
- However, the writings of latitudinarians Tillotson, Stillingfleet, and Wilkins received the most accolades.
- Example sentences
- Actually, some figures of the period, such as Hans Denck and Sebastian Franck, did; but latitudinarianism was itself regarded as a heresy.
- The latitudinarianism of the incumbent rabbi was attuned to the religious outlook of the congregation's membership, for whom Orthodoxy was a matter of preference, not of practice.
- He spurns the label of ‘laxity’ for latitudinarianism and defends Anglicanism as a venerable bulwark against the encroachments and excesses of Rome.
Words that rhyme with latitudinarianagrarian, antiquarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, Aryan, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, establishmentarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, Hanoverian, humanitarian, Hungarian, libertarian, librarian, majoritarian, millenarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, totalitarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, utilitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
Definition of latitudinarian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.