- An alcoholic solution containing morphine, prepared from opium and formerly used as a narcotic painkiller.More example sentences
- Doctors would give babies phenobarbital for colic and laudanum (a form of opium) for teething.
- She took laudanum for this, as was the fashion, a habit that brought her to the attention of a fellow poet, the opium addict Coleridge.
- Any painkillers containing opiates, such as laudanum, were out of the question until the concussion went away.
mid 16th century (applied to various preparations containing opium): modern Latin, the name given by Paracelsus to a costly medicament of which opium was believed to be the active ingredient; perhaps a variant of Latin ladanum (see ladanum).
More definitions of laudanumDefinition of laudanum in:
- The US English dictionary