- Hot molten or semi-fluid rock erupted from a volcano or fissure, or solid rock resulting from cooling of this: tablelands of lava [count noun]: porphyritic lavasMore example sentences
- Bombs are pieces of molten lava that are thrown out of the volcano.
- They include lavas and volcaniclastic rocks of basaltic and andesitic composition together with cogenetic gabbros, plagiogranites and granites.
- The tuffs and lava were derived from a nearby andesitic volcanic centre.
mid 18th century: from Italian (Neapolitan dialect), denoting the lava stream from Vesuvius, but originally denoting a stream caused by sudden rain, from lavare 'to wash', from Latin.
More definitions of lavaDefinition of lava in:
- The US English dictionary