Definition of lawful in English:
1Conforming to, permitted by, or recognized by law or rules: it is an offence to carry a weapon in public without lawful authority
More example sentences
- Silence or mere lack of objection does not constitute a lawful waiver.
- The first question is whether the detention is lawful under domestic law.
- In such cases, it will be easier to establish that the detention was lawful.
legitimate, legal, licit, just, permissible, permitted, allowable, allowed, rightful, proper, constitutional, legalized, sanctioned, authorized, warranted, justified, justifiable, approved, recognized, admissible, above board, within the law, going by the rules
law-abiding, righteous, honourable, good, decent, proper, solid, virtuous, moral, ethical, orderly, well behaved, peacekeeping, peaceful, civilized, dutiful, duteous, obedient, compliant, complying, disciplined
- Example sentences
- Yet by the 19th Century, the Brits were renowned for almost painful ‘Victorian’ rectitude and lawfulness.
- The court is not able to review the merits, only the lawfulness, of the decision.
- Judicial review of administrative action usually examines the lawfulness, procedural fairness and rationality of a decision.
Pronunciation: /ˈlɔːfʊlnəs/ /ˈlɔːf(ə)lnəs/noun
Words that rhyme with lawfulawful
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.