Definition of lawless in English:
Not governed by or obedient to laws; characterized by a lack of civic order: it was a lawless, anarchic city
More example sentences
- Other sources mention Vlad's determination to bring order in lawless times.
- Whereas in the Taliban regime it seemed pretty lawless, from the descriptions.
- What tests or considerations are to guide the jury in determining when he may reasonably become lawless?
anarchic, anarchical, disorderly, ungovernable, unruly, without law and order, disruptive, insurrectionary, insurgent, revolutionary, rebellious, insubordinate, riotous, mutinous, mutinying, seditious, revolting, terrorist
illegal, unlawful, lawbreaking, illicit, illegitimate, criminal, felonious, indictable, delinquent, culpable, villainous, transgressing, violating
informal crooked, shady, bent
- lawlessly adverb
- Example sentences
- Suddenly allowing religions to act lawlessly does not seem like such a good idea.
- In a way, it is a sort of Western, the story of Americans advancing into an empty desert, living lawlessly, excessively, violently, and being punished for their transgressions.
- Congress should expand its investigation of the Justice Department, monitoring how it is defining torture in various cases, and checking to make sure that it is not doing so lawlessly.
Words that rhyme with lawlessoarless
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.