A small plant bug which is typically brightly coloured and leaps when disturbed. It can be a serious crop pest in warm regions.
- Family Cicadellidae, suborder Homoptera: numerous genera
More example sentences
- The adults of most species feed on nectar and honeydew produced by aphids and other sucking insects like leafhoppers, whiteflies and mealybugs.
- Their larvae will eat large numbers and many varieties of aphids, and also devour mealybugs, whiteflies, thrips, leafhoppers, red spidermites, and a variety of other soft-bodied noxious insects.
- The newly seeded alfalfa has plant bugs and potato leafhoppers and established alfalfa has army worms, alfalfa loopers, thistle caterpillars, and variegated cut worms.
Definition of leafhopper in:
- The US English dictionary