- Make (something that was previously illegal) permissible by law: homosexuality and abortion have been legalizedMore example sentences
make legal, decriminalize, legitimize, legitimatize, legitimate, validate, ratify, permit, allow, admit, accept, authorize, sanction, warrant, license, approve, countenance, pronounce lawful, give the stamp of approval to; regularize, regulate, normalize• informal OK, give the go-ahead to, give the thumbs up to, give the OK to, give the green light to, say the word, give one's blessing to
- For less than a year it was legalised by statute in the Northern Territory of Australia.
- It's time to fix the bankruptcy law that has legalized the corporate robbery of workers.
- Two years later, the government introduced another measure legalizing civil marriage.
- More example sentences
- So the Canadian Association of Police Boards denounced the legalization of illicit drugs, including marijuana.
- I have to point out here that we must not conflate legalization with decriminalization.
- Many benefits would come from decriminalisation or legalisation with regulation.