- 1A piece of glass or other transparent material with curved sides for concentrating or dispersing light rays, used singly (as in a magnifying glass) or with other lenses (as in a telescope).More example sentences
- His first telescope was made from available lenses and gave a magnification of about four times.
- I have two pairs of glasses with different coloured lenses for different light conditions.
- Because of the extreme curve of the glasses, the lenses are hard to fit to a frame - and that makes them costly.
- 1.1The light-gathering device of a camera, typically containing a group of compound lenses.More example sentences
- The Standard lens is actually one of the most neglected lenses in your camera bag.
- With that he tosses the paper across, and goes back to his camera lenses and his camera lens cloth.
- The solution to this is to get right next to the glass, so that your camera lens is flush with the glass surface.
- 1.2 Anatomy short for crystalline lens.More example sentences
- The posterior chamber is found behind the iris and in front of the lens and ciliary bodies.
- The dioptric system includes the cornea, the lens, the aqueous humor within the anterior eye chamber, and the vitreous body.
- With age, your eyes are less able to produce tears, your retinas thin and your lenses gradually turn yellow and become less clear.
- 1.3 short for contact lens.
- 1.4 Physics An object or device which focuses or otherwise modifies the direction of movement of light, sound, electrons, etc..More example sentences
- Designed much like a compound microscope, the electron microscope uses a beam of electrons focused through magnetic lenses.
- The first and second lenses operate jointly to concentrate and collimate the incident light beam.
- In order to concentrate more light at the aperture, they placed a glass ball lens on the upper side of the tip prior to the assembly step.
- More example sentences
- Many applications use only the forward output of a lensed LED.
- Views into the three numbered motel rooms through lensed eyeholes presented a similar mix of persistence and decay, presence and abandonment.
- The group is currently developing a hybrid lensed fiber bundle and apertured cantilever array.
- More example sentences
- In order to avoid the distortions of reality that lenses produce, Strindberg often used a lensless pinhole camera of his own construction.
- Hudec uses a lensless camera called a zone plate pinhole, which allows her to render life the way she sees it - fleeting, sensual and fragile.
- My experience with lensless imaging as my primary creative medium has shown me the pinhole camera's tremendous versatility and essential mystery.
late 17th century: from Latin, 'lentil' (because of the similarity in shape).
More definitions of lensDefinition of lens in:
- The US English dictionary