- 1A contagious disease that affects the skin, mucous membranes, and nerves, causing discoloration and lumps on the skin and, in severe cases, disfigurement and deformities. Leprosy is now mainly confined to tropical Africa and Asia. Also called Hansen's disease.
More example sentences
- Leprosy is caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium leprae, which is Gram-positive, non-motile, and acid-fast
- The most severe form of leprosy produces large disfiguring nodules, or lumps.
- Programmes to control leprosy, hepatitis and dengue fever are vividly shown.
- Both Danielssen and Boeck believed that leprosy was a hereditary disease.
More definitions of leprosyDefinition of leprosy in:
- The US English dictionary