- The symptoms of leukaemia vary greatly, depending on the exact type of disease and how advanced it is.
- There are two basic reasons for carrying out bone marrow transplantation for leukaemia and lymphoma.
- In people with leukemia, the bone marrow produces a large number of abnormal white blood cells.
- Example sentences
- Their immature and uniform appearance raised the possibility of malignant lymphoma in the leukemic phase.
- The cutaneous T-cell lymphomas are non-Hodgkin lymphomas of epidermotropic lymphocytes, of which the most common forms are mycosis fungoides and its leukemic variant, Sezary syndrome.
- When performing microarrays to evaluate leukemias, normal and leukemic cells found in blood or bone marrow are first separated by density gradient centrifugation.
Mid 19th century: coined in German from Greek leukos 'white' + haima 'blood'.
light from Old English:
The two words spelled light have different sources. The light referring to the rays that stimulate sight shares an ancestor with Greek leukos ‘white’ (found in leukaemia (mid 19th century) a disease that affects the white blood cells), and Latin lux (source of lucid (late 16th century)). The light referring to weight comes from the same ancient root as lung (Old English)—the lightness of the lungs distinguishes them from other internal organs. This sense of light survives in lights (Middle English), the lungs of sheep, pigs or bullocks, used as food, especially for pets. If someone does something that creates a tense or exciting situation, people might say that they light the blue touch-paper. A touch-paper is a type of fuse that will burn slowly when touched by a spark. It is now only used with fireworks, but in the past would also have been a means for igniting gunpowder. The word lighten (Middle English) ‘shed light on’ is the source of lightning (Middle English).
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: leu|kae¦mia
Definition of leukaemia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.