noun[mass noun] Medicine
A synthetic compound used as an anthelmintic drug (especially in animals) and in cancer chemotherapy.
- A polycyclic imidazole derivative; chemical formula: C11H12N2S
More example sentences
- We selected for mutants that were resistant to the anthelmintic drug levamisole.
- In addition, no persuasive mechanism for the assumed synergism between fluorouracil and levamisole has been found.
- Drugs assessed in these trials included albendazole, piperazine, mebendazole, levamisole, pyrantel, and tetrachlorethylene.
1960s: from levo- (it being a laevorotatory isomer) + (tetra)misole, the name of an anthelmintic drug.
Definition of levamisole in:
- The US English dictionary