Definition of library in English:
noun (plural libraries)
- I researched sailboat building at our town library and Boston Public Library.
- So a university gets a new library building but no funds for new books.
- It's easier to borrow the book from a public library or buy it from a second-hand bookshop.
- The museum houses a library with about 60,000 books related to Gandhi and the various causes he espoused.
- A few Italian book collectors began to amass libraries of unprecedented proportions: one cardinal is said to have had as many as 15,000 books.
- They visited the stables, admiring the horses, and settled in to read from the extensive library Geoff had collected.
- The bedrooms are linked to the bathrooms, dressing rooms, libraries and anterooms.
- Along the cool corridors are private dining rooms, libraries, a gymnasium, and Turkish baths.
- Dominic's room was more like a hotel luxury suite complete with a living room and a private library.
- This includes photo libraries, research databases and detailed archives.
- The archive functions as a dance library and research center, much like the New York City Public Library's Dance Collection.
- Start your library by researching other denominational hymnals.
- He reckons it will take 18 months to get the 4,000 programs in the software library built, and has taken the CD off the market.
- That said, backward-compatibility is a relatively new feature for consoles - for a long time, buying a next-generation machine meant leaving your software library behind.
- Update the software library to get rid of old software versions, beta versions and out of date service packs.
libel from (Middle English):
When first used a libel was ‘a document, a written statement’: it came via Old French from Latin libellus, a diminutive of liber ‘book’, source of library (Late Middle English). Now used as a legal term referring to a published false statement damaging to someone's reputation, it dates from the early 17th century. Libel contrasts with slander ( see scandal) which is spoken.
Definition of library in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.