noun[mass noun] Medicine
- 1Maintenance of a patient’s vital functions following disablement or in an adverse environment: [as modifier]: a life-support machineMore example sentences
- Under the current system, most organs are donated by patients on life support machines who die after suffering irreversible brain damage.
- Systems that use living organisms to perform life support system functions are called bioregenerative life-support systems.
- For example, suppose a doctor refuses to withdraw life support from an incompetent patient when the clinical team agrees it to be appropriate.
- 1.1 • informal Equipment in a hospital used for life support: a patient on life supportMore example sentences
- He suffered congestive heart failure earlier this year and is on life support at an Orlando hospital.
- A few months ago his wife had a stroke, and she was in the hospital on life support since then.
- We do believe that it's put several people not only in the hospital but on life support.
More definitions of life supportDefinition of life support in:
- The US English dictionary