Definition of ligation in English:
1The surgical procedure of tying a ligature tightly around a blood vessel or other duct or tube in the body: the ligation of the cystic duct
More example sentences
- Failure to recognize such aberrant ductal anatomy may lead to potential ligation of ducts during surgery.
- Treatments vary from radiological ablation to surgical ligation of the varicocele, although most urologists reserve the radiological approach for the rare surgical failures.
- One hospital transfer is accounted to each of the following procedures: circumcision, cystoscopy, hemorrhoid ligation and vasectomy reversal.
2 Biochemistry The joining of two DNA strands or other molecules by a phosphate ester linkage.
- A mechanism leading to tandem sequence duplication may involve DNA damage followed by DNA synthesis, strand displacement, and ligation.
- The ligation reactions were used as template DNA for one of the following methods.
- The cut DNAs were ligated at low concentrations, to encourage intramolecular ligation reactions.
Definition of ligation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan