- 1Gently, delicately or softly: she placed her hand lightly on my shoulderMore example sentences
softly, gently, faintly, delicately; gingerly, timidlysparingly, slightly, sparsely, moderately, softly, thinly, delicatelyleniently, mildlycarelessly, airily, readily, heedlessly, without consideration, uncaringly, indifferently, unthinkingly, thoughtlessly, flippantly, facilely, breezily, frivolously; light-heartedly, gaily, blithely, nonchalantly, cheerfully
- William was too caught up in the lively creature, whose well-manicured hands flew lightly over the keys.
- He lifted the needle from her back to pinch her upper arm lightly.
- Darcy raised a hand to brush her face lightly.
- 2In relatively small amounts or in low density; sparingly: it was snowing lightlyMore example sentences
- All three facilities, built by the Soviet Union, have been in mothballs or lightly used in recent years.
- Spoon the batter into a preheated, lightly greased griddle or frying pan.
- Roll each part on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle.
- 3In a way that is not serious or solemn; carelessly: it is not something that should be taken lightlyMore example sentences
- You have been correct in your assumption, Jane doesnt take things lightly.
- Such enormous guilt, such responsibility could not be taken lightly.
- The costs of blocking immigration cannot be lightly dismissed.
- 4Without severe punishment; leniently: some people are let off lightlyMore example sentences
- It seems all too often that the evil doers are let off lightly.
- Park said they were lucky to escape so lightly.
- Meanwhile those responsible for the workers misery and the trade in human beings seem to get off lightly - once again.