(also chiefly North American lightning rod)
Definition of lightning conductor in English:
1A metal rod or wire fixed to an exposed part of a building or other tall structure to divert lightning harmlessly into the ground.
- The provision of a lightning conductor system will not prevent the occurrence of a lightning strike.
- A typical building lightning conductor has an inductance in the order of 15 microhenries per foot.
- Don't be tempted to run the lightning conductor in the cable duct or alongside any other cabling.
1.1A person or thing that attracts criticism, especially in order to divert attention from more serious issues or allow a more important public figure to appear blameless.
- He emerged as a lightning rod for criticism after appearing unaware of the extent of the humanitarian disaster that unfolded after the hurricane hit.
- The idea of government stepping into this is one of those issues that is sure to be a lightning rod for criticism.
- To his critics he was a lightning rod, attracting fear and vituperation.
Definition of lightning conductor in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia