Definition of lignify in English:
verb (lignifies, lignifying, lignified)[with object] (usually as adjective lignified) Botany
Make rigid and woody by the deposition of lignin in cell walls.
- In the tertiary state of development endodermal cells deposit lignified cell wall material onto the suberin lamella.
- The secondary parenchyma produced by the successive cambia is not lignified and serves as a starch storage tissue.
- For example, microcrystalline pyrite is ubiquitous on the inner surface of cell walls, within lignified cell walls and in the middle lamella.
- Example sentences
- Increased rates of suberization and lignification in the exodermis may lead to a greater resistance to the entry of materials into the root apoplast.
- It seems to be associated with lignification of host endodermis and pericycle cells at the penetration site.
- Moreover, as fruit ripens, the achenes (a combination of seed and ovary tissue) undergo a strong lignification of their thick pericarp.
Definition of lignify in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan