The history of the treatment of, and references to, a particular subject in literature: lesbian literary history
More example sentences
- Questions about the vexed relationship between literary criticism and literary history persist.
- It also occupied a huge space in the newly developed disciplines of literary criticism and literary history.
- This is one of a number of textual allusions which, paradoxically, give the authority of literary history to Sam's historical investigations.
literary historian noun
- Example sentences
- He suggests that contemporary literary historians have misunderstood Romanticism.
- I got a very bad grade on a paper I wrote for a Chaucer seminar in which I argued, against prominent literary historians, that Chaucer had indeed relied on the work of rhetoricians such as Geoffrey de Vinsauf when he composed his Troilus.
- Kazin was among the early literary historians to see the book as a departure from standard documentary practice, associating Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, ‘as a work of great moral intensity,’ with Faulkner's fiction.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.