noun[mass noun] Medicine
- The formation of stony concretions (calculi) in the body, most often in the gall bladder or urinary system.More example sentences
- A 58 year old man with a clinical history of diabetes mellitus and left renal lithiasis presented with a left inguinal mass.
- The patient described in this report had every major complication of Caroli disease, including recurrent cholangitis, liver abscess, biliary lithiasis, and cholangiocarcinoma.
- Using the helical CT scan as the standard, the authors calculated the sensitivity, specificity, positive and negative predictive values and accuracy of microscopic- or dipstick-positive hematuria with regard to renal lithiasis.
mid 17th century: from medieval Latin, based on Greek lithos 'stone'.
More definitions of lithiasisDefinition of lithiasis in:
- The US English dictionary