- 1 Chemistry A test for acidity or alkalinity using litmus.More example sentences
- He defined the modern idea of an ‘element’, as well as introducing the litmus test to tell acids from bases, and introduced many other standard chemical tests.
- 2A decisively indicative test: effectiveness in these areas is often a good litmus test of overall qualityMore example sentences
- Under the Federal Guidelines of 1971, statistical representation became the litmus test of discrimination.
- By the 1900s, it had become the litmus test of public health among the medical profession and the urban middle class.
- When sex becomes the litmus test of morality, when we focus disproportionate attention on sexual sin, we do harm by omission.
More definitions of litmus testDefinition of litmus test in:
- The US English dictionary