1Slightly ill, as though having a disordered liver.
- Everyone's feeling a bit liverish this morning, because we had to have the hacks' reception at Bute House last night.
- The liver is very sensitive to stress, so eating lots of fatty foods can make you feel liverish, aggravate the symptoms of irritable-bowel syndrome and disrupt sleeping patterns.
1.1Unhappy and bad-tempered.
- The weather made me liverish, the talk of the ordinary Englishman made me sick, I couldn't get enough exercise, and the amusements of London seemed as flat as soda-water that has been standing in the sun.
- If Jupiter, the god of Rome, looks liverish, he has cause.
2Resembling liver in colour: a liverish red
More example sentences
- The most striking Delubac piece is a diamond serpent necklace with liverish amethyst spots and protruding cabochon eyes.
- Most of those will make it to the top of Arthur's Seat, an area of pitted, liverish rock the size of large sitting room.
- Other pieces call to mind other color words - puce, cream, chartreuse, peat, liverish, brass - that seem almost right but are, in the end, wrong.
Definition of liverish in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.