Definition of liveryman in English:
noun (plural liverymen)
1(In the UK) a member of a livery company.
- She played an active part in many medical societies, including the Chelsea Clinical Society of which she was president, and she was a liveryman of the Society of Apothecaries.
- He was a liveryman of the Society of Apothecaries of London.
- John was an examiner for the MRCGP and the Society of Apothecaries, where he was a liveryman.
2An owner of or attendant in a livery stable.
- The remedy lies with the liverymen, who should refuse carriages for such purposes from purely benevolent considerations as well as economic ones, for who would hire a carriage with knowledge of such recent use?
- If A, being a liveryman, keeps his horse standing idle in the stable, and B, against his wish or without his knowledge, rides or drives it out, it is no answer to A for B to say: ‘Against what loss do you want to be restored?’
Definition of liveryman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan