Definition of lo-fi in English:
1Of or employing sound reproduction of a lower quality than hi-fi: lo-fi recording techniques
More example sentences
- As before, the recording quality is as lo-fi as it gets, and each one of the twenty-three tracks features Lou on his guitar with only an occasional assist on backing vocals or music.
- By this I think he meant that the lo-fi sound (the recording venue is stated as being ‘in Jan and Ed's basement ’) is more than compensated for by the energy and enthusiasm that jumps out of every track.
- The lo-fi recording quality harkens back to 60s staples like Simon & Garfunkel or Nick Drake, not to mention Sumpner's haunting pastoral imagery.
1.1(Of popular music) recorded and produced with basic equipment and thus having a raw and unsophisticated sound.
- French label Burning Emptiness stand alone at the vanguard of anything and everything lo-fi, avant-garde, techno, or just plain and simple noise.
- The rest of us had to make do with Greatest Hits, an ironically titled compilation of tracks from those four albums as well as Dying Happy, a fifth lo-fi album of soundtrack music that came out in 1997.
- Some say her lyrics are reminiscent of Liz Phair and her sound is lo-fi.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
Lo-fi sound reproduction or music.
- Tom Vek meets the contemporary current of fashionable new new-wave spliced and spiced with bedroom lo-fi.
- The lack of sonic variety prevents most of the songs from making much of an impression musically, and in general lo-fi really starts to grate after about 20 straight minutes.
- There's no cross-section of early period lo-fi, mid-period big studio slickness and late period mid-fi compromise.
1950s: from an alteration of low1 + -fi on the pattern of hi-fi.
Definition of lo-fi in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan