Definition of lodestone in English:
1A piece of magnetite or other naturally magnetized mineral, able to be used as a magnet.
- Electromagnetic fields and radiation have, perhaps through their historical associations with magnetic lodestones and electrical storms, been linked to forces of nature that are not readily understood.
- Gilbert carried out many other experiments, including the study of spherical lodestones that were floated on water in small wooden boats.
1.2A person or thing that is the focus of attention or attraction: the revolution in eastern Europe has robbed the state of its ideological lodestone
More example sentences
- It is the ideological lodestone of a political movement that has shoved the entire American political center to the right.
- Santa Fe has been a lodestone for the study, idealization, and romanticization of the American Indian since the completion of the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway.
- Attendance at the Army War College (as well as the other senior service colleges) should remain the lodestone of the profession of arms.
Definition of lodestone in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.