Definition of logarithmic in English:
1Relating to or expressed in terms of logarithms.
- During the early logarithmic phase of increase in log-likelihood, the genetic algorithm method of determining branch lengths seems to work quite well.
- Gap fraction is computed by logarithmic averaging of the transmittances of subgroups of the data.
- The recent calculations reviewed in the article go beyond the valence approximation and attempt to improve the approach to continuum by a logarithmic factor relative to previous simulations.
1.1(Of a scale) constructed so that successive points along an axis, or graduations which are an equal distance apart, represent values which are in an equal ratio: the scale is logarithmic, so pH 2 is ten times more acidic than pH 3
More example sentences
- Equal intervals on a logarithmic scale correspond to equal proportions on an arithmetic scale.
- Heterogeneity in the risk difference and the odds ratio on a logarithmic scale was not significant in the 10 trials that provided data on mortality.
- Under the assumptions that genes act multiplicatively (i.e., there is no epistasis on a logarithmic scale), the log of this ratio should decline linearly over time.
1.2(Of a curve) forming a straight line when plotted on a logarithmic scale; exponential.
- Craig published several more papers on the logarithmic curve, the curve of quickest descent and quadrature of figures.
- Cotes was particularly pleased with his rectification of the logarithmic curve as he makes clear in a letter to his friend William Jones in 1712.
- An accretional growth system that builds the special logarithmic curve of the coiled conch requires a suite of parameters, which are maintained in a very narrow zone of tolerance.
- Example sentences
- Nasal lavage and PBMC cytokine and the derived cytokine ratios were logarithmically transformed before analysis.
- The response variable was logarithmically transformed.
- We performed each analysis on the logarithmically transformed dependent variables.
Words that rhyme with logarithmiceurhythmic, rhythmic
Definition of logarithmic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan