Definition of long shot in English:
An attempt or guess that has only the slightest chance of succeeding or being accurate: it’s a long shot, but well worth trying
More example sentences
- I thought I'd call the police station, just on the off chance, the long shot that it had turned up.
- Though not impossible, attempting to obtain permission for residential use would be a long shot.
- It's still a long shot but increased exposure is building up experience and the chances are shortening.
(not) by a long shot
- informal (Not) by far or at all: she had not told Rory everything, not by a long shotMore example sentences
- We don't have our act together in Washington by a long shot.
- We're barely into April and the serious hurling hasn't started by a long shot yet.
- Small business is the key to prosperity and is the State's largest employer by a long shot.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan