Disreputable or sordid in a rakish or appealing way: the louche world of the theatre
More example sentences
- If you can't dance, stand at the bar and look louche.
- He made no apologies for his rackety lifestyle, his liking for louche and even sleazy companions, his lavish consumption of cigars, brandy and champagne.
- Lounge lizards will welcome this louche downtown bar boasting one of North America's largest vodka selections not to mention world-class wines.
- Example sentences
- Ray's writing has the same exoticism, the same intellectual loucheness.
- This is probably the coolest film ever made: its quality of loucheness is unsurpassed.
- But if Byron was celebrated for his amorality and loucheness, so was the city he surveyed that drizzly November afternoon.
Early 19th century: from French, literally 'squinting'.
Words that rhyme with louchebarouche, cartouche, douche, farouche, ruche, sloosh, swoosh, tarboosh
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: louche
Definition of louche in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.