Definition of lour in English:
1Look angry or sullen; scowl: the lofty statue lours at patients in the infirmary
More example sentences
- He sat louring at the landscape as it slid past the window.
- When she is woken by the kiss, she silently expresses anger, just louring at him.
- He said nothing, only loured at me from the doorway.
1.1(Of the sky or landscape) look dark and threatening.
- The sea is churning and the sky is louring, so buckets and spades are out of the question.
- The following morning, the sort of black cloud that lours over Mordor had swallowed the Cairngorm massif completely and a bitter wind kept the punters away.
nounBack to top
Middle English: of unknown origin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan