adjective (lousier, lousiest)
- 1 • informal Very poor or bad: the service is usually lousy lousy weatherMore example sentences
awful, terrible, appalling, abysmal, very bad, atrocious, desperate, unspeakable, frightful, miserable; poor, incompetent, inadequate, unsatisfactory, inferior, not up to scratch, careless, second-rate, shoddy, slovenly
- Thus, the fight to improve lousy schools so that poor, bright children stand a better chance of getting to good universities on merit is utterly undermined.
- As usual, it's overwhelmingly the rich who get the pleasure while the poor put up with lousy services and fares which have rocketed since deregulation.
- Initially, customers groused about a grinding gear shift, poor air-conditioning, and lousy tires.
- 1.1Used to express anger, contempt, or annoyance: you lousy creepsMore example sentences
- If we want to discourage violence and aggression in our country, we need to look at its causes and I doubt that all this anger stemmed from a few lousy films!
- Of course, after that incident, she seemed less than inclined to go see those lousy, no-good idiots anyway.
- You enjoy seeing me suffer, don't you, you no-good, lousy harpy of a nurse?
- 1.2 [predic.] Unwell: she felt lousyMore example sentences
- I came down with a cold the day Max and I flew out of Seattle, and I was very cranky to think that I was going to be sick and feeling lousy all weekend.
- I was feeling lousy and sick and rowed as badly as I had at the beginning of the week.
- If you get a little behind each day, by the end of the week you'll be severely dehydrated, feeling lousy, and riding poorly.
- 2Infested with lice.
- 2.1 (lousy with) • informal Teeming with (something regarded as undesirable): the town is lousy with touristsMore example sentences
- This town is lousy with cows.
- Every corner of this town, every street is lousy with associative action.
- The area was lousy with saloons, dime museums, oyster bars, minstrel theaters, and establishments promising women in varying states of undress.
- More example sentences
- I was feeling really lousily depressed for a while there.
- It would be clear to most readers that the government has set itself a mission impossible with this highly controversial lousily drafted law.
- I'd rather be comfy and endure a little prodding than be lousily uncomfortable the entire flight.
- More example sentences
- Despite its visual coolness and interesting non-linear and cyclical narrative style, as an enjoyable movie it fails, mostly due to its overall lousiness.
- The fact that it was only the second day of his life in no way diminished it's lousiness.
- Of course, you won't achieve any degree of lousiness unless you do this to excess.