Definition of lunatic in English:
- She continued to gape at him as if he was a runaway lunatic from a nearby mental asylum.
- The gaol was also used for a number of years to house the mentally insane, as lunatics had to be restrained and kept out of sight.
- Initially, he's told he's too old and then parcelled off into the Halberdiers, a regiment almost entirely comprised of oddballs, lunatics, misfits and sociopaths.
- Those of you who are not my best friend Julie, and therefore not lunatics and hardcore math geeks, may not know that today is Pi Day.
- He has observed that all the other drivers on the road fall into one of two categories: idiots or lunatics.
- He had known it, the rest of his friends were raving lunatics.
adjectiveBack to top
- Do you remember that one episode of X-Files with that crazed lunatic writer who was in love with Scully?
- The frustration is so great that the black character believes that he might wind up in a lunatic cell, driven crazy by the insane demands.
- I said I found him, not that he was some insane lunatic murderer trying to kill me!
- What happens if you break all the rules and throw your reputation behind a lunatic scheme to let people hear world-class classical music for the price of a couple of pints?
- They will presumably lead to some retraction of the lunatic version of markets that have been imposed by extreme reactionaries in recent years.
- A small smile touched her lips, her eyes alight with a lunatic fire.
loon from [late 19th century]:
This word for ‘a silly person’ comes from the North American loon (mid 17th century), a large water bird also known as a diver. It gets its name from its distinctive cry. The sense silly is from the bird's actions when escaping from danger; perhaps influenced by loony, a mid 19th-century abbreviation of lunatic (Middle English) from Latin luna ‘moon. In the past people thought that the phases of the moon could affect people.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.