Definition of lunatic in English:
- She continued to gape at him as if he was a runaway lunatic from a nearby mental asylum.
- The gaol was also used for a number of years to house the mentally insane, as lunatics had to be restrained and kept out of sight.
- Initially, he's told he's too old and then parcelled off into the Halberdiers, a regiment almost entirely comprised of oddballs, lunatics, misfits and sociopaths.
- Those of you who are not my best friend Julie, and therefore not lunatics and hardcore math geeks, may not know that today is Pi Day.
- He has observed that all the other drivers on the road fall into one of two categories: idiots or lunatics.
- He had known it, the rest of his friends were raving lunatics.
adjectiveBack to top
- Do you remember that one episode of X-Files with that crazed lunatic writer who was in love with Scully?
- The frustration is so great that the black character believes that he might wind up in a lunatic cell, driven crazy by the insane demands.
- I said I found him, not that he was some insane lunatic murderer trying to kill me!
- What happens if you break all the rules and throw your reputation behind a lunatic scheme to let people hear world-class classical music for the price of a couple of pints?
- They will presumably lead to some retraction of the lunatic version of markets that have been imposed by extreme reactionaries in recent years.
- A small smile touched her lips, her eyes alight with a lunatic fire.
loon from [late 19th century]:
This word for ‘a silly person’ comes from the North American loon (mid 17th century), a large water bird also known as a diver. It gets its name from its distinctive cry. The sense silly is from the bird's actions when escaping from danger; perhaps influenced by loony, a mid 19th-century abbreviation of lunatic (Middle English) from Latin luna ‘moon. In the past people thought that the phases of the moon could affect people.
Words that rhyme with lunaticdrumstick • gearstick
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.