1Of or concerning the combined motions or effects of the sun and moon.
- The cited lunisolar interface is significant because an interpretation based upon the lunar phases so clearly points to the possibility of a special creation.
- The air pressure variations due to lunisolar effects cause the deformation of the Earth and therefore directly and indirectly influence several geodynamical phenomena.
- Numerical studies show that lunisolar perturbations control stability of equilibria for orbits with semimajor axes exceeding 1.4 Earth radii.
1.1Of or employing a calendar year divided according to the phases of the moon, but adjusted in average length to fit the length of the solar cycle.
- The Jewish calendar, a highly complex system, is ‘lunisolar ‘, where the years are solar and months lunar.
- The Chinese Calendar is a lunisolar calendar based on calculations of the positions of the Sun and Moon.
- In different Indian lunisolar calendars the lunar month is used, mixed with the sidereal month.
Late 17th century: from Latin luna 'moon' + solar1.
Words that rhyme with lunisolarAngola, barbola, bipolar, bowler, bronchiolar, canola, carambola, circumpolar, coaler, Coca-Cola, cola, comptroller, consoler, controller, Ebola, eidola, extoller, Finola, Gorgonzola, granola, Hispaniola, kola, Lola, mandola, molar, multipolar, Ndola, patroller, payola, pianola, polar, roller, Savonarola, scagliola, scroller, sola, solar, stroller, tombola, Tortola, troller, Vignola, viola, Zola
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: luni|solar
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.