- After a relaxing meal we enjoyed a comfortable night in the luxurious Luxmore Hotel.
- Each suite has a sitting area and luxurious Italian marble bathroom.
- They lead a comfortable and luxurious life without anyone disturbing them.
- The feeling of resting in the confines of a bed felt rather luxurious and grand.
- He became a trainee manager at the Savoy Hotel, which was anything but luxurious.
- If you feel you can just walk on by then I hope you can live with your luxurious extravagances day after day while the world beneath us suffers.
Luxurious and luxuriant are sometimes confused. Luxurious chiefly means ‘very comfortable, elegant, and involving great expense’, as in a luxurious hotel, whereas luxuriant means ‘rich and profuse in growth’, as in acres of luxuriant gardens.
- Example sentences
- I stretched luxuriously under the rather expensive Egyptian cotton sheets.
- What they have concocted is a sleek, discreet and luxuriously appointed hotel that is stylish but still accessible.
- I have already fallen in love with Unst Bus Shelter, billed as the world's most luxuriously equipped shelter - and surely the first bus shelter with its own website.
- Example sentences
- His music has beauty and flamboyance, a luxuriousness in its sounds.
- If I'm up early alone, I feel energetic, creative and spoiled by the luxuriousness of no one else up to bug me - especially if I'm writing in the morning.
- But when I'm with both him and Jenny it's hard not to sink into the luxuriousness of her heart and get caught up in her curiosity for the whole wide world.
Middle English (in the sense 'lascivious'): from Old French luxurios, from Latin luxuriosus, from luxuria 'luxury'.
Words that rhyme with luxuriouscurious, furious, injurious, penurious, perjurious, spurious, sulphureous (US sulfureous), usurious
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: lux¦uri|ous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.