A clubmoss, especially a lycopodium. Giant lycopods the size of trees were common in the Carboniferous period.
- Class Lycopsida: several families
More example sentences
- Coal forests of giant lycopods, calamites, pteridophytes and ferns cover the tropical landmasses.
- The largest of these primitive ‘trees’ were giant lycopods reaching upwards of 20 meters, but most of the plants grew to less than a meter above the ground.
- The earliest of the vascular plants are the pteridophytes and lycopods.
mid 19th century: anglicized form of lycopodium.
Definition of lycopod in:
- The US English dictionary